The easy days of summer have slipped into days of intensity with school back in session and more on our schedules. Then, roll the intensity of a challenging election into the mix, and we all long for an escape! There is a way to build in some respite!
Consider Jesus’ words: “…love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength” and plan small ways to pause in your day to breathe his love and focused rest into each area with some “mini-Sabbaths”:
* Rest your heart by using the “off” button — especially TV and anything related to “news.” Play or enjoy a hobby, and regain perspective
* Keep a bottle of bubbles in your car or at your desk … and rediscover a simple joy to lighten your heart (and the hearts of others)
* Keep a gratitude journal, recording God’s gifts throughout each day
* Take time to read and meditate on God’s word and be still and listen for his voice
* Choose to love today and “fill someone’s cup.” In the process, yours will also become full!
* Look for the adventure as you walk with Christ today; in what new directions might he be taking you ?
* Practice smiling when you find yourself thinking something negative. (Studies show you can’t smile and think something negative at the same time!)
* Focus on all you have to be thankful for and share with someone else
* Take mini exercise breaks (walks, stretches, breathing deeply) throughout the day
* Take a brief nap … and read Psalm 23 before closing your eyes. Picture yourself in those scenes (by still waters, in green pastures, etc.) with your shepherd who loves you and desires rest for you
- Judi Brandow, Communications Specialist